Skip to Content

Land Use

Often confused with Real Estate Law, “Land Use Law" refers to the local and state processes involved in the physical development of a particular property or properties. For example, a landowner might want to build a home or additional dwelling unit on the property; or, they might want to divide a larger property into smaller lots (partition/ subdivision). In all of these cases, the landowner must first obtain certain approvals from local and state agencies.

Land Use can sometimes simply boil down to a written application to a local building or planning official. However, in many cases, it can also involve public hearings that take place in front of planning commissions, "third-party" hearings officers, city council members, Boards of Commissioners, Design Review Boards, or even the Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals (LUBA). No matter what sort of Land Use issues are involved, it is essential to get experienced, professional counsel so as to increase the chances of getting your application approved!

To that end, we commonly assist our clients with the following:                           

  • General Land Use Applications and Strategy
  • Variances
  • Permits for Conditional and Outright Uses
  • Setback Variances
  • Partitions and Partition Plats
  • Property Line Adjustments
  • Site and design review
  • Zoning
  • Nonconforming Use Determinations
  • Representation at local and statewide public hearings
  • Counsel regarding Conditions of Approval
  • Local Appeals
  • Non-Local Appeals (LUBA)
  • Code enforcement

If you or someone you know is thinking about developing their property-- or, if you have had some other land use issue arise-- contact our firm today to see how we can help!